Do I need a will?

When your life changes, your will needs to change as well. You can do this by either modifying your will with a codicil, or by creating a new will. To eliminate any possibilities for confusion, you should consider drawing a new will when you experience a big life change such as:

Divorce – In most states, a divorce decree will nullify any gift made to a former spouse; however, to ensure your assets go where you want them to go, you should draw up a new will following a divorce.

Marriage – No matter if it’s your first marriage or your fourth, you and your new spouse should both create a new will. If there are now stepchildren you want added as beneficiaries, you will need to provide for them by name in your will, unless they have been adopted, in which case they will be considered your legal children.

Birth – Your will should include the establishment of a guardian for any minor children.

Death – If you have named someone as a beneficiary in your will and they before you do, a new will should be created so the assets can be redistributed.

Reviewing your will when life changes – such as a birth, a death, or divorce – will help ensure your will is valid and does what you intend for it to do. Here are some other things you can do to ensure your Florida will is valid:

Make sure it can be found. A common mistake many people make is to lock away their will in a bank safety deposit box, not realizing that it will require a court order to open that box and your loved ones will be without the necessary documents to open probate.

Be careful about who you choose as executor. Naturally you want to name someone who is responsible, but be sure they actually want the job before you name them. In addition, name a second person to serve in case your first choice is unavailable.

Avoid contradictions in estate planning documents. You want to be sure your will doesn’t contradict the choices you have already made for those listed on beneficiary forms for your life insurance policy, retirement accounts, etc.

Name a back-up guardian. One of the most important functions of a will is naming a guardian for minor children. But what if you only named one person, and that person couldn’t take on the responsibility? Naming a second choice for guardian will bypass this potential problem.

Be specific. If you want to disinherit someone, you must state that specifically in your will. In addition, if you have gotten divorced and remarried but have children from your first marriage, you will want to make provisions for both your current spouse and your children from the first marriage. Not doing so could leave your children unintentionally disinherited.

Seek professional guidance. While there are many online options for creating a will, these are not tailored to your specific needs. Seek professional guidance from a qualified estate planning attorney so you can avoid common mistakes that could invalidate your will.

Our experienced and trusted estate planning attorneys have been serving Treasure Coast families for decades, and Michael Fowler is one of only nine attorneys in the state of Florida who is double board-certified in wills trusts and estates and in elder law. Contact us for your initial consultation at one of our conveniently located offices in Fort Pierce, Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Vero Beach, and Okeechobee.

5 Things to Consider when Choosing a Nursing home

5 things to consider ebook

Upcoming Events

No event found!
Prev Next

Protect yourself & those you love

No matter where you are in life’s journey, we can help.

Whether you need to update your estate plan, are preparing for future long-term care needs, have a loved one entering or already in a nursing home, or need help administering an estate, our team is here.

We have 5 convenient locations throughout the Treasure Coast area and are ready to serve you.

Take your first step by contacting us today.

Skip to content